You know, that time of year when sprogs dress up, asks for sweets and the challenge for scout leaders everywhere is to throw a party. My rule of thumb with this: the messier they leave the better.
But before I share with you my recipe for a messy child, I'll share with you some photos of the pumpkins that we got them to carve.
Recipe for a Messy Child
Sprog x many
Costume x one per Sprog
Apples x numerous
Water x bucket loads
Marshmallows x more than a mouth full
Flour x a bouquet
Doughnuts x enough to choke a giant
Treacle/Golden Syrup x enough to grease a small monkey
- Inspect sprog in costume, it may be necessary to remove articles for movement/breathing proposes
- Float apples in buckets of water
- Insert sprogs head
- String up doughnuts on a rope so they all dangle freely. Coat doughnuts in treacle/syrup
- Hang doughnuts above sprogs heads and let them apply treacle and syrup to face/hair/body/costume as they attempt to consume them.
- Once all sprogs are damp and coated in treacle/syrup, bring out marshmallows on a plate covered in a large heaped pile of flour.
- Insert sprogs head, flour should stick rather successfully to water and treacle mixture
What's a halloween party without a game that includes vomiting?
They all loved it really, chasing each other round and putting treacle and flour in each others faces, drooling down their tops while trying not to spit up marshmallows. Of course when their parents showed up and saw how messy they were it was 'horrible'...
I've since learned (from one of the parents) that it took one of the sprogs several days to remove all the treacle/flour.... SUCCESS!!